Monday, January 27, 2014

My Sunday Drive

Sundays are probably one of my favorite days of the week.
I get to serve at my local church, spend time with friends, take a nap, and cook dinner for our roommates. I have a pretty busy schedule, so I don't always get the time that I want in the kitchen throughout the week.
Through this series, I'll let you come with me on "My Sunday Drive."
After church, Derek and I came home quite hungry. We normally start our Sunday’s off at 5 am, grab some coffee and serve at our church from 6:30 am till 12 pm. My husband is an intern over the productions department and I get the honor of singing with the band. We really enjoy what we do, but you sure work up an appetite. So we had a classic turkey sandwich.
Since we are getting ready to do our taxes soon, we have a box in our room with all of our important papers and it was time to sit down and go through it. Probably my favorite part of that was when I found some old checks and I gave Derek one of these...
...and I got this look and a "What is this?"
Priceless!
Throughout the week, our roommates are so gracious to cook dinner for us, so we decided to call Sunday's our cooking night! This is where I can try out new recipes and "Wow!" the crowd. But this weekend, was not so great. I found a sweet recipe online for Tilapia with Green Beans. It sounded amazing, check it out.
So, you'll come to find when I cook I don't always measure my ingredients. I would say I normally have a good eye for that sort of thing, but seriously, this was not good. (This was not the recipes fault it was definitely mine! Don't try the green beans, it's not worth it!!!)
However, I did get to redeem myself with a classic Peach Cobbler.
Peach Cobbler:
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1 large can of peaches in juice
1 stick of butter (Give me a break, I'm from the South!)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Add the can of peaches to a casserole dish and place it in the oven. Mix together the dry items in a large bowl. Whisk your eggs in a separate bowl, and then add it to the mixture until nice and crumbly. Remove the peaches out of the oven and sprinkle the mixture evenly across the top. Melt the stick of butter in a microwaveable safe dish for about 45 seconds. Drizzle the butter across the top and let it sit where it falls! Bake for about 45 minutes or until it has a nice golden look to it. Enjoy with ice cream or right out of the dish!

I got to finish my day playing with my roommate's two awesome kiddos, had a glass of wine with my love, and watched the Grammy's. This was a tasty, fruity Cabernet. I lean more towards the sweeter, light wines because I don't typically like a lot of alcohol. But I do enjoy a small glass with friends or my family.
So overall, it was a pretty good "Sunday Drive."

No comments:

Post a Comment